Home Insurance 101

Monday, April 29, 2013

There are many important financial products that we need to purchase in our lifetime, from our first car all the way through to our dream house. With these important firsts comes a responsibility for protecting them, making home insurance an extremely imperative form of cover. It will give you the peace of mind of knowing that if any financial loss was to come to your home, you would have the finances to help in your time of need. Home insurance in general covers damage or destruction to the structure of your home as well as the contents/belonging you have stated on your policy. This will usually come in the form of buildings and contents insurance, which is the first and most important insurance policy you need.

As with many financial decisions, choosing the right insurance can be a confusing mine field to navigate. With this in mind, here are the basics for securing your home.

Buildings and Contents Insurance

Buildings and contents insurance comes under the general heading of home insurance and in short, covers any damage that may come to the structure or contents within your home. This is never more important than in this age of financial insecurity, when our pay cheques and mortgages are already stretched to the limits. A buildings and contents insurance policy is the number one policy any homeowner needs, but they are also advised for those of us living in rented accommodation.

The buildings cover spreads out, to securing your home in the case of a disaster to situations when your home may be so severely damaged that it will need a complete rebuild, say due to an earthquake or fire. The damage caused will usually only be covered if the event was completely out of our control, which is why this form of insurance is so greatly needed. Make sure that when you take out your policy, it is for the total amount of a rebuild and not just for the amount of your mortgage, as this may be less and you may end up having to spend more to meet the building costs.

Contents insurance covers all the items in your house that are not directly attached to the property. It won't cover your sinks for example, but it will cover your furniture, TV, clothing and so on. This form of insurance will cover the costs incurred if you needed to replace items due to damage not of your own doing. This could be flood damage, smoke and any items that get stolen or vandalised. In short, this will cover your contents for most of the same reasons as your building insurance will cover.

In order to make sure you get the right policy for you, it is important to get a variety of home insurance quotes. This will give you a broad over view of what exactly is available to suit your needs.

Add-ons to your policy

This is the moment that you can add on separate parts to your policy to make it exactly right for your needs. For example, if your home is on or near a flood plain then you may find you want more cover than a basic home insurance plan gives you. In this instance, you may want to see what flood cover you can add onto your policy that will cover you in the event of the worst happening. This is where you will need to research or contact your existing insurance provider such as Swiftcover to see what added extras they supply. Here are some general add-ons that many people are turning to in order to get the most coverage from their plans.

Accidental Damage - This can be any damage caused to your home by yourself, your children or visitors that you need to pay for, such as a ball though your back window or damage caused by DIY. Sometimes this will also cover accidental damage to your contents, but this does vary upon which provider you choose, so it may be worth checking before you sign on the dotted line.

Fire Damage - Fire damage is one of the most popular forms of extra insurance coverage, especially for homes that use gas appliances. This will cover you, if a fire is caused by accident within your home, a cooking incident or an electrical fire for example.

Home Emergency Cover - This is a fairly new form of insurance, but home emergency cover is great for when you need something to be sorted at a very quick rate. For example, if your washing machine breaks down when you need it the most, you can ring the helpline with the likelihood of getting it replaced within 24 hours. Obviously the washing machine needs to be covered in your contents insurance.

You Might Also Like

0 kommentarer


4-Slice Toaster AC Accessories Air Air Conditioners Air Purifiers Air Quality Animals Animals - Horses Apartments Apartments - College Appliances Architecture Attic Auction - Home Australia Away from Home Babies Baby Furniture Baby Shower Backyard Activities Backyard Revamp Baking Baptismal Basements Bathroom Bathroom Pampering Tips Bathtubs Beat the Heat Bedroom Bedroom - Luxury Bedroom Ideas Bedroom Mistakes Beds Bidets Bills Blinds and Curtains Blogs Boilers Budget Style Buying a Home Cakes Canine Canopies Car Maintenance Care Homes Carpets Carpets and Rugs Cars Cars - Uses Cats Ceiling Fans Celebrations Children Chores Christening Ideas Christmas Christmas lighting ideas City Life Claims Cleaning Cleaning Services Coffee Tables Comfortable Living Commercial Lease Common Problems Community Spaces Concrete Condo Condominium Conservatories Cool Stuff Cooling Ideas Cost of Living Costumes Couch Credit Scores Curbs Curtains Curtains - Scalloped DA Dates Decking Dining Room Dining Table Dishwashers Display Racks DIY DIY - Carpet Cleaning DIY - Cleaning Products DIY - Soundproofing DIY Addiction DIY Schools Dog Breeds Dogs Dogs - Diet Dogs - Health Dogs - Hygiene Doors Dream Home Dreams and Hopes Earning Tips Eco Friendly Ideas Eco-Friendly Eco-Houses Electric Bills Energy Saving Tips Energy System Entertainment Room Entertainment Space Ethical Living European Inspired Expo Extra Rooms Family Family Room Fans Few Things in Between Filters Fireplace - Outdoor Fireproofing First Time Homeowners Flags Flooding Flooring Flooring - Bamboo Flooring - Tiles Florida France Furnace Furnished Properties Furniture Furniture - Dining Sets Furniture - Shopping Guide Gadgets Garage Garden Gardening Gardening - Allotments Germ-free Home Gift Ideas Gift Ideas - Babies Gift Ideas - Christmas Gift Ideas - Him Gift Ideas - Home Gift Ideas - House Warming Gift Ideas - Kids Gift Ideas - Parents Gift Ideas - Personalized Gift Ideas - Valentine's Day Gifts for collectors Gifts for her Go Green Living Grass Green Living Halloween Health and Home Health and Lifestyle Heater - Heat Pumps Heaters Heaters - Parts Heating Hen Parties Holiday Homes hom home Home - Building Home - Gadgets Home - Luxury Home - Technology Home Accessories Home Appliances Home Builders Home Buying Home Cooking Home Decorating Home Decorating - Christmas Home Designs Home Disasters Home Essentials Home Extensions Home Flooring Home Heating Home Hunting home imp Home Improvement Ideas Home Insurance Home Investing Home Maintenance Home Office Home Organizing Home Projects Home Reconstruction Home Redesigning Home Remodeling Home Renovation Home Repair Home Repair - Foundation Home Repair - Professional Home Restoration Home Safety Home Security Home Spas Home Tech Ideas Home Theater Home Upgrades House Problems House Warming Household Chores Housewarming Gifts Housewarming Party HVAC Hygiene IKEA Indonesia Indoor Designs Insulation Insurance Insurance - Car Insurance - House Insurance - Pets Interesting Architecture Interior Additions Interior Design Interior Design - Modern Interior Ideas Jewelry Jewelry Organizer Keeping Warm Kitchen Kitchen - Cabinets Kitchen - Spanish Inspired Kitchen Designs Kitchen Flooring Knives Landscaping Lawn Mowers LED Lights Lifestyle Lighting Lighting - Chandeliers Lighting - Garden Lighting - Lamps Lighting Options Lights Living Room Living Room - Designs Loans Loans - Home Loft London Luxury Home Luxury Houses Maintenance Malls Minimalist Mirrors Mitigation Mobile Apps Modern Home Designs Money Saving Tips Morphy Richards Mortgage Moving Moving Tips New Home Nursery Online Shopping Orangeries Organizer Organizing tips Outdoor Designs Outdoor Living Outdoor Living - Furniture Outdoor Living - Patio Outdoor Room Outdoor Spas Ovens and Cooktops Painting Paintings Parenting Parties Passion Patio Pest Control Pets Pets - Ailments Pets - Cats Pets - Dogs Pets - Health Pets - Sitters Pets - Toys Phones Pillows Plans and Visions Planting Ideas Plastering Plumbing Plumbing Issues Pool Accessories Pools Power Cut Quilts Quotes Rabbits Real Estate Recycling Relationships rent Renting a Home Retirement Reviews Rodent Problems Romantic Dates Roofing Roofing Contractors Safety tips Saving - for a Home Saving Tips Saving Tips - Water Security Self Improvement Selling Your Home Septic Tanks Shaving System Shaving System - for Men Shopping Shutters Sinks and Countertops Skincare Sleep Small Spaces Sofa Soft Furnishings Solar Energy Solar Panels Soundproofing Space Saving Ideas Spring Ideas SR Stains Steel Storage Ideas Student Life Study Room Summer Survival Tips Taps the UK the USA Toaster Toilet Toolbox Tools Travel Treehouses Trends Trimmer Trimmer - Cordless Trimmer Tubing TV Bench Urban Living Vacation Preparation Valentine's Day Ventilation Video Surveillance Vine Covered Homes Vineyard Vintage-Inspired Walk in Wardrobes Wall Decorations Wallpaper Wardrobes Washing - Clothes Water Water Damage Water Heaters Water Softeners Water Usage Weather Welding Windows Wine Racks Winter Tips Wish List Wood Work Area